December 9, 2019 | 16:30-17:30 | Capacity-building Hub, Hall 4
In Paris, Parties emphasized the importance of developing and enhancing countries’ endogenous capacities and technologies to help achieve the goals of Paris Agreement and requested the Technology Mechanism to work on this matter.
As the policy arm of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism, the TEC works to help Parties and stakeholders in promoting awareness of technology issues and addressing climate change through technology development and transfer.
Following the adoption of Paris Agreement, the TEC considered it important to first address the observed lack of common understanding among various stakeholders on what “endogenous” mean. In 2018 the TEC conducted a survey and released a report featuring stakeholders views gathered on elements and features that could be used to describe endogenous capacities and technologies. This work showed the importance of having a shared understanding of the concept “endogenous capacities” and “endogenous technologies” among stakeholders, in order to effectively discuss how endogenous capacities and technologies can be developed and enhanced.
The TEC in 2020 will continue to work on this topic specifically to identify and analyzs needs, challenges and gaps and enabling enrvironments to promote the endogenous capacities and technologies.
Set in this context, the dialogue has the two-fold objectives:
1. Gather the perspectives of broader audience and technology stakholders on the elements and features of endogenous capacities and technologies
2. Exchange views and discuss enabling environments, ways and measures that can facilitate countries in building these capacities
The dialogue will be guided by a moderator and take a format of a panel discussion and interaction with audience. The panel will represent expertise and perspectives of countries, technology practisioners, technology observers, and UNFCCC constituted bodies and mechanisms.
Moderator: Adelle Thomas, TEC member
Technology under UNFCCC and short introduction of the TEC findings
Capacity-building under UNFCCC
Moderated panels discussions guided by the following questions:
• What is your understanding of endogenous capacities and endogenous technologies?
• How building endogenous capacities and technologies will contribute to achieving the goals of Paris Agreement?
• What are the needs, challenges, and possible measures to be put in place (enabling environments) to build the capacity of countries to develop their endogenous technologies?
Final summary/wrap-up by the moderator