In accordance with Articles 4 and 12 of the Climate Change Convention, and the relevant decisions of the Conference of the Parties, countries that are Parties to the Convention submit national greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories to the Climate Change secretariat. These submissions are made in accordance with the reporting requirements adopted under the Convention, such as the revised “Guidelines for the preparation of national communications by Parties included in Annex I to the Convention, Part I: UNFCCC reporting guidelines on annual greenhouse gas inventories” (decision 24/CP.19) for Annex I Parties and “Guidelines for the preparation of national communications for non-Annex I Parties” (decision 17/CP.8). The inventory data are provided in the annual GHG inventory submissions by Annex I Parties and in the national communications and biennial update reports by non-Annex I Parties.
The Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA) requested the secretariat to implement the necessary changes to the GHG data interface following the adoption of the revised Annex I reporting guidelines. In response to the mandate received from the SBSTA, the secretariat has made available the following six modules of the GHG data interface reflecting data reported by Annex I Parties and, to the extent possible, information provided in the national communications and biennial update reports of non-Annex I Parties as of 1 March 2019:
- Time Series
- GHG Profiles for Annex I Parties and Non-Annex I Parties
- Detailed data by Party
- Comparison by gas
- Comparison by category
- Global Map - Annex I
- Flexible Queries for Annex I Parties and Non-Annex I Parties
- User-defined Indicators for Annex I Parties and Non-Annex I Parties
With regard to the global map, it should be noted that:
- The implementation is a temporary pilot version, to be replaced with a final version once its technical development is completed;
- Designations employed and the presentation of material on the map do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the UNFCCC or the Secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Old GHG Data Interface
Pending the completion of technical changes to be made to the GHG data interface, as mandated by SBSTA 38 and 39, those modules of the data interface which have not yet been upgraded are made available here for reference purposes. It should be noted that these modules present data based on submissions from Annex I and Non-Annex I Parties as of 17 February 2015.