Thematic dialogue on South-South cooperation on technologies for adaptation
On 6 April 2016, the Technology Executive Committee (TEC) held a thematic dialogue on enablers and barriers to South-South cooperation on technologies for adaptation. The thematic dialogue took place as part of the 12th meeting of the TEC.
The purpose of holding the thematic dialogue was to deepen the understanding on this topic and to share and learn experiences among countries regarding South-South cooperation on technologies for adaptation. More specifically, the objectives of the thematic dialogue were to:
- Share and learn experiences among countries with regard to South-South cooperation (SSC) and Triangular cooperation (TrC) related to technologies for adaptation in the areas of agriculture and water;
- Identify enablers, barriers and contributing factors to successful development, replication and transfer of technologies for adaptation in the SSC and TrC context;
- Identify needs, process, and actions for effective SSC and TrC, taking into account different elements and specific characteristics of each region;
- Highlight potential recommendation of the TEC with regard to policy which may contribute to successful SSC and TrC for development and transfer of technologies for adaptation.
The thematic dialogue was the continuation of the work of the TEC in the area of technologies for adaptation that the TEC has undertaken since 2014, which included a workshop on “Technologies for Adaptation” and the development of two TEC Briefs on technologies for adaptation in the water sector and in the agricultural sector. The thematic dialogue comprised the following sessions:
- Session I: Setting the context – Roles and contribution of SSC/TrC to technologies for adaptation;
- Session II: Sharing experiences & lessons learned to promote enablers and address gaps to facilitate and upscale SSC/TrC in the development and transfer of agriculture and water technologies;
- Session III: Potential areas of actions and recommendations to promote SSC/TrC on technologies for adaptation;
- Session IV: Wrap up & way forward.
The thematic dialogue was webcast.