Focal Point Forums and Governing Mandate
Governing Mandate (FCCC/SBSTA/2017/paragraph 21)
The objectives of the Focal Point Forum include the following:
- Enhancing the engagement of experts and expert organizations, including those from developing countries and those working on national adaptation plans;
- Providing an interactive space for information-sharing and the informal exchange of views among NWP partner organizations, Parties and other relevant organizations, bearing in mind that NWP partner organizations should be given sufficient opportunities to share their views during the Focal Point Forum;
- Facilitating collaboration and partnerships among NWP partner organizations, Parties and other relevant organizations, which could contribute to translating the key findings and gaps identified in the activities undertaken under the NWP into concrete adaptation actions;
- Informing future activities to be undertaken under the NWP, in a way that supports the potential role of the NWP in the implementation of the Paris Agreement, particularly on issues related to adaptation;
- Taking stock of the practical ways in which knowledge shared through the NWP has been used in the past and using this to set out ideas for future work.
SBSTA 46 provided further mandates, including:
- the future topics to be discussed at the Focal Point Forum could be selected on the basis of proposals made by Parties, NWP partner organizations and other relevant organizations.
- the secretariat, within the framework of its current mandates, is requested to consider opportunities for engaging with Parties, NWP partner organizations and other relevant organizations to co-organize events that would complement the Focal Point Forum and contribute effectively to the objectives of the Focal Point Forum (see above). Such events could be held in conjunction with workshops or technical meetings organized in various regions, or take the form of side events at SBSTA sessions.
- all Parties, NWP partner organizations and other relevant organizations are invited to provide support to enable the participation of relevant experts, including experts from developing countries, in the Focal Point Forum and other events under the NWP.