SBI 39, Warsaw, November 2013
1. The Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI) took note of
the information provided by the secretariat of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) on the financial
support provided by the GEF for the preparation of national communications and biennial update
reports (BURs) by Parties not included in Annex I to the Convention (non-Annex I
2. The SBI invited the GEF to continue providing detailed, accurate, timely and complete information
on its activities relating to the preparation of national communications by non-Annex I Parties,
including information on the dates of the approval of funding and the disbursement of funds. It also
invited the GEF to continue providing information on the approximate date of completion of the draft
national communications, and an approximate date of submission to the secretariat of the national
communications, for consideration at SBI 41 (December 2014).
3. The SBI invited the GEF to continue providing detailed, accurate, timely and complete information
on its activities relating to the preparation of BURs, including information on the dates of the
request for funding, approval of funding, disbursement of funds as well as an approximate date of
submission to the secretariat of BURs, for consideration at SBI 40 (June 2014).
4. The SBI noted that as at 11 November 2013 the GEF secretariat had received 30 requests for support
to prepare BURs. Recalling decision 2/CP.17, paragraph 41(d), the SBI encouraged the non-Annex I
Parties that have yet to submit, as applicable, their requests to the GEF for support for the
preparation of their first BURs to do so in a timely manner.2 In addition, it encouraged
the GEF implementing agencies to continue facilitating the preparation and submission of project
proposals by non-Annex I Parties for the preparation of their BURs.
5. Recalling decision 9/CP.18, the SBI encouraged the GEF to make support available to non-Annex I
Parties for preparing their subsequent BURs in a timely manner, taking fully into account decision
2/CP.17, paragraph 41(a) and (e). The SBI also recalled decision 2/CP.17, which decided that enhanced
support for the preparation of BURs should be ensured by developed country Parties and other
developed Parties included in Annex II to the Convention by means of resources, in accordance with
Article 4, paragraph 3, of the Convention, on the basis of agreed full-cost funding.
6. The SBI noted the progress made by the GEF in the finalization of its Global Support Programme, a
project that will be administered jointly by the United Nations Development Programme and the United
Nations Environment Programme, with the objective of enhancing support to non-Annex I Parties in the
preparation of their national communications and BURs. It noted that the aim of the project is to
assist non-Annex I Parties in the timely preparation and submission of their national communications
7. The SBI also welcomed the release by the secretariat, as scheduled,3 of an upgraded
version of the national greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory software for non-Annex I Parties.4
It encouraged non-Annex I Parties to start using the upgraded software for the development of their
national GHG inventories. It further welcomed the efforts made by the secretariat to provide relevant
training to national experts from non-Annex I Parties with a view to facilitating the efficient use
of the software. It encouraged the secretariat to continue making every effort to ensure that the
relevant training is made available to all non-Annex I Parties.
8. The SBI took note of the estimated budgetary implications of the activities to be undertaken by
the secretariat as referred to in paragraph 7 above.
9. It requested that the actions of the secretariat called for in these conclusions be undertaken
subject to the availability of financial resources.
10. The SBI noted with appreciation that, as at 11 November 2013, 145 initial, 94 second and four
third national communications and one fourth and one fifth national communication from non-Annex I
Parties had been submitted. It also noted that, by the end of 2013, one initial national
communication, 22 second and three third national communications from non-Annex I Parties are
expected to be submitted.
1 FCCC/SBI/2013/INF.7, FCCC/SBI/2013/INF.8 and FCCC/CP/2013/3/Add.2.
2 FCCC/SBI/2012/15, paragraph 53.
3 FCCC/SBI/2011/17, paragraph 43.
4 The upgraded greenhouse gas inventory software is available at http://unfccc.int/7627.php.