Capacity-building for climate action: Paris Agreement, Article 11
1. Capacity-building under this Agreement should enhance the capacity and ability of developing
country Parties, in particular countries with the least capacity, such as the least developed
countries, and those that are particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change, such
as small island developing States, to take effective climate change action, including, inter alia, to
implement adaptation and mitigation actions, and should facilitate technology development,
dissemination and deployment, access to climate finance, relevant aspects of education, training and
public awareness, and the transparent, timely and accurate communication of information.
2. Capacity-building should be country-driven, based on and responsive to national needs, and foster
country ownership of Parties, in particular, for developing country Parties, including at the
national, subnational and local levels. Capacity-building should be guided by lessons learned,
including those from capacity-building activities under the Convention, and should be an effective,
iterative process that is participatory, cross-cutting and gender-responsive.
3. All Parties should cooperate to enhance the capacity of developing country Parties to implement
this Agreement. Developed country Parties should enhance support for capacity-building actions in
developing country Parties.
4. All Parties enhancing the capacity of developing country Parties to implement this Agreement,
including through regional, bilateral and multilateral approaches, shall regularly communicate on
these actions or measures on capacity-building. Developing country Parties should regularly
communicate progress made on implementing capacity-building plans, policies, actions or measures to
implement this Agreement.
5. Capacity-building activities shall be enhanced through appropriate institutional arrangements to
support the implementation of this Agreement, including the appropriate institutional arrangements
established under the Convention that serve this Agreement. The Conference of the Parties serving as
the meeting of the Parties to this Agreement shall, at its first session, consider and adopt a
decision on the initial institutional arrangements for capacity-building.
Capacity-building in the UNFCCC process