Development and transfer of technologies
Mechanisms for technology transfer are to facilitate the support of financial, institutional and methodological activities:
(a) To enhance the coordination of the full range of stakeholders in different countries and regions;
(b) To engage them in cooperative efforts to accelerate the development and diffusion, including transfer, of technologies, know-how and practices to and between countries, particularly developing countries, through technology cooperation and partnerships; and,
(c) To facilitate the development of projects and programmes to support such ends.
The purpose of the proposed mechanisms is to develop meaningful and effective actions to enhance the implementation of Article 4, paragraph 5, of the Convention by increasing the transfer of and access to environmentally sound technologies and know-how.
Under this theme, the EGTT was established as an institutional arrangement to facilitate the implementation of the technology transfer framework.
• Assessed initiatives on technology transfer related to subregional, regional and international climate change related mechanisms and institutions.
• Identified ways to facilitate the development of regional and subregional projects on research and development.
• Identified linkages and possible collaboration with other constituted bodies under the Convention and other global conventions and processes where technology transfer is considered.
• EGTT was established as an institutional arrangement to facilitate the implementation of the technology transfer framework.
• Annual reports of the EGTT.
• Enhanced cooperation with other constituted bodies under the Convention.
• Dialogue with the secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
At COP 16, Parties established the Technology Mechanism of the Convention, consisting of a Technology Executive Committee (TEC) and a Climate Technology Centre and Network. Parties decided that the TEC shall further implement the Technology Transfer Framework.
For information on the work of the TEC with regards to further implementation of the Framework: Technology Executive Committee