Development and transfer of technologies
The enabling environments component of the framework focuses on government actions, such as fair trade policies, removal of technical, legal and administrative barriers to technology transfer, sound economic policy, regulatory frameworks and transparency, all of which create an environment conducive to private and public sector technology transfer.
The purpose of the enabling environments component of the framework is to improve the effectiveness of the transfer of environmentally sound technologies by identifying and analysing ways of facilitating the transfer of environmentally sound technologies, including the identification and removal of barriers at each stage of the process.
Barriers to technology transfer and ways to overcome them were addressed through several means by the EGTT and the secretariat, including a technical paper on enabling environments for the development and transfer of technologies, a workshop on enabling environments, and a senior-level round table. These activities resulted in a better understanding of the definition and means to enhance enabling environments to support technology transfer.
• Organized a side event on issues surrounding the transfer of publicly owned technologies and those in the public domain.
• Analysed the interaction of climate and environmentally related legislation and policies on national technology choices and transfer.
• Cooperated with business and industry and public–private partnerships in the organization of sector-specific workshops.
• Organized a workshop on enabling environments for technology transfer.
• Informal paper on issues surrounding publicly owned technologies and those in the public domain.
• Summary of the senior-level round-table discussion on enabling environments for technology transfer.
• Cooperation with business and industry non-governmental organizations for the organization of the side event “Technology transfer and the UNFCCC: practical approaches for responding to developing country priorities”.
• Technical paper on enabling environments for technology transfer.
• Report of the UNFCCC workshop on enabling environments for technology transfer.
At COP 16, Parties established the Technology Mechanism of the Convention, consisting of a Technology Executive Committee (TEC) and a Climate Technology Centre and Network. Parties decided that the TEC shall further implement the Technology Transfer Framework.
For information on the work of the TEC with regards to the further implementation of the Framework: Technology Executive Committee