Although urban centres are often ill-prepared to meet the basic needs of rapidly expanding populations, the
urban poor are incredibly resourceful populations, with their own networks and the proven capacity to save
and invest in the betterment of their communities. Climate change creates a stimulus for adaptation and
mitigation action to improve and transform some of the most vulnerable urban communities today.
Momentum for Change: Urban Poor celebrates activities which address climate change and improve livelihoods
and living conditions in urban areas of developing countries and is implemented with the generous support of
the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The Momentum for Change Advisory Panel will
select a small number of lighthouse activities to be recognized during the United Nations Climate Change
Conference in Warsaw, Poland from 11–22 November 2013.
The Momentum for Change: Urban Poor lighthouse activities will demonstrate measurable impact on the ground
and the potential for replicability and scaleability at the local, national and international levels. They
will be assessed and chosen against the following selection criteria:
- The activity must address climate change mitigation or adaptation in a developing country, while
improving the lives of the urban poor (see attachment for
eligible countries); (230 kB)
- The activity must have been implemented, or is in the course of implementation;
- The activity must be scalable and/or replicable;
- The activity must demonstrate innovation and potential for long-term transformation change;
- The activity must be the result of an innovative partnership, which aims to achieve scalable, long-term
- The activity must deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits to an identified community, which
has been appropriately engaged in the activity development processes;
- The activity must not be registered or have intentions to register as a CDM or JI activity for the next 2
Applications will be judged on the basis of the form submitted; the Momentum for Change team may contact the
applicant should further information be sought.
Press here to apply to Momentum for Change: Urban
Before you submit your application, please ensure the following:
If you would like more information about the application process and Momentum for Change, please visit our
Frequently Asked Questions section. Should
you have further enquiries, do not hesitate to contact the Momentum for Change team at email@example.com.
- You have the authority to make an application on behalf of the activity;
- You have registered your interest by creating a log-in account;
- You have read and understood the criteria and the terms of
application (214 kB) .
All activities that are considered to have met the selection criteria will be included in the Momentum for
Change website. The information entered into the application form by the registered applicant, will comprise
the basis for the entry, including a link to the activity’s own website. By submitting your activity to
the call, you will provide it with a chance to become a part of a growing catalogue of climate change
mitigation and adaptation activities serving to inspire and keep people abreast of the change already occurring
around the world.