The activity has increased the resilience of the community by:
- Building flood compatible eco-friendly receptacles to reduce aquifer resource contamination;
- Mobilizing the community to engage the local authority to start the process of legalization, to
ensure land rights;
- Launching the Madimba multi-dimensional community based adaptive livelihood support and upgrading
- Implementing the adaptive wholesome water supply for Madimba peri urban settlement, which used to
depend on contaminated shallow wells;
- Building the capacity of the Madimba community to implement community based adaptive income
- Establishing training opportunities for women and children, through climate change clubs in 20
- Initiating an innovative climate adaptive initiative to promote reforestation in schools and in the
The activity has provided concrete social and environmental benefits to the Madimba peri urban living
environment, such as helping to secure property rights for the community living in the settlement as
well as promoting adaptation developmental projects.
NECOS adopted the settlement as pilot urban climate adaptive –upgrading which was earmarked for
an ecologically and sustainable developed community as a model to replicate or rolled out to other
peri-urban settlement in Zambia.
The community has received training and succeeded in mobilizing resources for the implementation of
different community based income generating projects.
Women were involved in leadership development activities and carrying out adaptive projects. The
activity has also resulted in enhanced coordination and integrated approach to programs in the
The activity has increased the capacity of the Madimba community to identify constraints in planning
and implementing community-based adaptation projects.
The activity has shown potential for scaleability and replicability due to the following factors:
- It has recorded an increase of schools introducing the concept of climate change clubs;
- It has trained an increasing number of community-based organizations to carry out adaptation
- It has expanded its operations supporting community-based adaptation to government farms in Lusaka
and other peri urban areas