Location: Asia, China, Guiyang Municipality
Date project established: August 2009
Philips Lighting participated in the Guiyang project which is part of the ‘Solar LED Lighting 1000
Villages Program’ − an initiative launched by The Climate Group and the One Foundation −
and provided rural communities in China with solar powered LED street lighting.
Solar LED street lighting provides a high quality, sustainable lighting solution for people in remote areas
who don’t have access to the conventional electricity grid. This solution extends their day after
the sun has set at an affordable cost, increasing the level of safety on roads and streets and allowing for
more economic and social activity. The solution is also valuable in the “sun-rich” cities in and
around the equator that can take advantage of the many hours of sunlight to supplement the capacity of their
conventional electricity grid, addressing growing concerns about their ability to meet the steep increase in
The aim of the 1,000 Villages Project is to explore effective policy measures and financial mechanism
in rural areas. It is a five years project that was kicked off in August 2009.
There are 400 demo villages in China in the first two years and other 600 villages in China, India and Africa
countries in the later three years.
The project aims to bring all stakeholders including governments, technology providers, research institute
and related agencies together. All the results obtained from the project will be shared and communicated with
The objectives of the project:
- To analyze social and economic effect of demonstration including carbon reduction and life quality
- To provide policy recommendation of solar LED lighting technology scale-upping
- To recognize and solve the technical obstacles of solar LED lighting
- To explore new financial model and scaling up plan
- To explore a dialogue mechanism and business model bringing all stake-holders together
The first 100 installations in the Guiyang project were donated and installed in 13 villages in 3 districts
around Guiyang city (Guiyang is the capital city of Guizhou Province).
After the first experience with Philips and its solar street lighting solution, Guiyang government (through
the Guiyang Municipal Engineering Administration Department) purchased other 150 sets for a wetland park
around some of those villages.
TCG’s role in the project is to:
- Identify demonstration villages and determine project demonstration area on the basis of a number of
- Engage technical partners
- Conduct local training for maintenance and protection
- Follow, collect and analyze related data for solar LED road lighting technology, policy, social and
- Hold seminars, round-tables and forums round solar