SBI 40, Bonn, June 2014
1. The Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI) took note of the information provided by the secretariat
of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) on the financial support provided by the GEF for the preparation of
biennial update reports (BURs) by Parties not included in Annex I to the Convention (non-Annex I
Parties).¹ The SBI invited the GEF to continue providing detailed, accurate, timely and complete
information on its activities relating to the preparation of BURs, including information on the dates of
requests for funding, approval of funding and disbursement of funds, as well as the amount of funding
disbursed to non-Annex I Parties for the preparation of BURs, and the amount of funding provided for the
preparation of national communications during the same period, for consideration at SBI 41 (December 2014).
2. The SBI noted that as at 4 June 2014 the GEF secretariat had received 36 requests for support to
prepare BURs. Recalling decision 2/CP.17, paragraph 41(d), the SBI urged the non-Annex I Parties that have
yet to submit, as applicable, their requests to the GEF for support for the preparation of their first BURs
to do so in a timely manner. In addition, it encouraged the GEF implementing agencies to continue
facilitating the preparation and submission of project proposals by non-Annex I Parties for the preparation
of their BURs.
3. The SBI invited the GEF to provide, in its report to the Conference of the Parties (COP) at its
twentieth session, detailed information on the funding available under its latest replenishment to non-Annex
I Parties for the preparation of national communications and BURs, and the total amount of funding available
in its climate change focal area.
4. The SBI recommended that COP 20 request the GEF to continue to work with its implementing agencies to
further simplify its procedures and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the process through which
non-Annex I Parties receive funding to meet their obligations under Article 12, paragraph 1, of the
5. The SBI, recalling decision 9/CP.18, reiterated its encouragement² of the GEF to make support
available to non-Annex I Parties for preparing their subsequent BURs in a timely manner, taking fully into
account decision 2/CP.17, paragraph 41(a) and (e).
6. The SBI noted the announcement made by the representative of the GEF on the successful completion, at
a record level, of the sixth replenishment of the GEF and the upcoming operationalization of its Global
Support Programme for the preparation of national communications and BURs by non-Annex I Parties (a five-year
project administered jointly by the United Nations Development Programme and the United Nations Environment
Programme, with the objective of enhancing the support provided to non-Annex I Parties for the preparation of
their national communications and BURs).
7. The SBI welcomed the efforts made by the secretariat to release updated versions of the national
greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory software for non-Annex I Parties in 2013³ and encouraged non-Annex I
Parties to use the software for the development of their national GHG inventories. It acknowledged the
usefulness of the updated software and requested the secretariat to make it available to non-Annex I Parties
in other United Nations languages by June 2015.
8. The SBI also welcomed the efforts made by the secretariat to provide relevant training to national
experts from all non-Annex I Parties with a view to facilitating the efficient use of the software. The SBI
thanked the Governments of the Philippines, Gabon and Colombia for having hosted the regional hands-on
training workshops on the use of the software that were organized by the secretariat. It also requested the
secretariat to report, at SBI 41, on the regional hands-on training workshops on the use of the software that
it organized in 2013–2014.
9. The SBI took note of the estimated budgetary implications of the activities to be undertaken by the
secretariat referred to in paragraph 7 above.
10. It requested that the actions of the secretariat called for in these conclusions be undertaken
subject to the availability of financial resources.
² FCCC/SBI/2013/20, paragraph 36.
³ Available at http://unfccc.int/7627.php.