SBI 40, Bonn, June 2014
1. The Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI) took note of the information provided by the
secretariat of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) on the financial support provided by the GEF for
the preparation of biennial update reports (BURs) by Parties not included in Annex I to the
Convention (non-Annex I Parties).¹ The SBI invited the GEF to continue providing detailed,
accurate, timely and complete information on its activities relating to the preparation of BURs,
including information on the dates of requests for funding, approval of funding and disbursement of
funds, as well as the amount of funding disbursed to non-Annex I Parties for the preparation of BURs,
and the amount of funding provided for the preparation of national communications during the same
period, for consideration at SBI 41 (December 2014).
2. The SBI noted that as at 4 June 2014 the GEF secretariat had received 36 requests for support
to prepare BURs. Recalling decision 2/CP.17, paragraph 41(d), the SBI urged the non-Annex I Parties
that have yet to submit, as applicable, their requests to the GEF for support for the preparation of
their first BURs to do so in a timely manner. In addition, it encouraged the GEF implementing
agencies to continue facilitating the preparation and submission of project proposals by non-Annex I
Parties for the preparation of their BURs.
3. The SBI invited the GEF to provide, in its report to the Conference of the Parties (COP) at
its twentieth session, detailed information on the funding available under its latest replenishment
to non-Annex I Parties for the preparation of national communications and BURs, and the total amount
of funding available in its climate change focal area.
4. The SBI recommended that COP 20 request the GEF to continue to work with its implementing
agencies to further simplify its procedures and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the
process through which non-Annex I Parties receive funding to meet their obligations under Article 12,
paragraph 1, of the Convention.
5. The SBI, recalling decision 9/CP.18, reiterated its encouragement² of the GEF to make
support available to non-Annex I Parties for preparing their subsequent BURs in a timely manner,
taking fully into account decision 2/CP.17, paragraph 41(a) and (e).
6. The SBI noted the announcement made by the representative of the GEF on the successful
completion, at a record level, of the sixth replenishment of the GEF and the upcoming
operationalization of its Global Support Programme for the preparation of national communications and
BURs by non-Annex I Parties (a five-year project administered jointly by the United Nations
Development Programme and the United Nations Environment Programme, with the objective of enhancing
the support provided to non-Annex I Parties for the preparation of their national communications and
7. The SBI welcomed the efforts made by the secretariat to release updated versions of the
national greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory software for non-Annex I Parties in 2013³ and encouraged
non-Annex I Parties to use the software for the development of their national GHG inventories. It
acknowledged the usefulness of the updated software and requested the secretariat to make it
available to non-Annex I Parties in other United Nations languages by June 2015.
8. The SBI also welcomed the efforts made by the secretariat to provide relevant training to
national experts from all non-Annex I Parties with a view to facilitating the efficient use of the
software. The SBI thanked the Governments of the Philippines, Gabon and Colombia for having hosted
the regional hands-on training workshops on the use of the software that were organized by the
secretariat. It also requested the secretariat to report, at SBI 41, on the regional hands-on
training workshops on the use of the software that it organized in 2013–2014.
9. The SBI took note of the estimated budgetary implications of the activities to be undertaken
by the secretariat referred to in paragraph 7 above.
10. It requested that the actions of the secretariat called for in these conclusions be
undertaken subject to the availability of financial resources.
² FCCC/SBI/2013/20, paragraph 36.
³ Available at <<a href="http://unfccc.int/7627.php">http://unfccc.int/7627.php>.