AMENDMENTS TO THE CONVENTION
1. Any Party may propose amendments to the Convention.
2. Amendments to the Convention shall be adopted at an ordinary session of the Conference of the Parties.
The text of any proposed amendment to the Convention shall be communicated to the Parties by the
secretariat at least six months before the meeting at which it is proposed for adoption. The secretariat
shall also communicate proposed amendments to the signatories to the Convention and, for information, to
3. The Parties shall make every effort to reach agreement on any proposed amendment to the Convention by
consensus. If all efforts at consensus have been exhausted, and no agreement reached, the amendment shall
as a last resort be adopted by a three-fourths majority vote of the Parties present and voting at the
meeting. The adopted amendment shall be communicated by the secretariat to the Depositary, who shall
circulate it to all Parties for their acceptance.
4. Instruments of acceptance in respect of an amendment shall be deposited with the Depositary. An
amendment adopted in accordance with paragraph 3 above shall enter into force for those Parties having
accepted it on the ninetieth day after the date of receipt by the Depositary of an instrument of acceptance
by at least three fourths of the Parties to the Convention.
5. The amendment shall enter into force for any other Party on the ninetieth day after the date on which
that Party deposits with the Depositary its instrument of acceptance of the said amendment.
6. For the purposes of this Article, "Parties present and voting" means Parties present and
casting an affirmative or negative vote.