The meeting was chaired by Mr. Tomasz Chruszczow, Chair of the Subsidiary Body for
Implementation, and co-facilitated by Helen Plume (New Zealand) and Kishan
Kumarsingh (Trinidad and Tobago).
The meeting took place in two afternoons as follows:
Part I: Tuesday, 4 June 2013, 3:00 – 6:00 pm
Part II: Thursday, 6 June 2013, 3:00 – 6:00
During Part I of the 2nd meeting of the Durban Forum,
representatives of Parties, intergovernmental and non‐governmental organizations, and the
private sector alternated in presenting experiences, good practices and lessons learned from the
delivery of capacitybuilding to enable adaptation and mitigation action, and to integrate gender
perspectives in climate change policies at the national level.
Presenters were invited to highlight the following aspects in their presentations and
- Capacity‐building for a long‐term planning of adaptation or mitigation actions
- Barriers encountered and overcome in the delivery of capacity‐building
- Role and engagement of stakeholders in the delivery of capacity‐building
- Tools and methodologies to monitor and review the effectiveness of capacity‐building
- Matching of capacity needs with financial support
Presentations and panel discussions were followed by an interactive dialogue with and among the
Durban Forum participants.
PART I presentations are available here.
PART I webcast is available
Part II of the 2nd meeting of the Durban Forum
featured presentations on capacity-building for the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol, and
an overview of capacity-building elements provided by in work plans of the bodies established
under the Convention and its Kyoto Protocol. This session was attended by Chairs, Co-Chairs and
members of the following bodies:
- Technology Executive Committee
- Advisory Board of the Climate Technology Centre and Network
- Standing Committee on Finance
- Adaptation Committee
- Consultative Group of Experts on National Communications from non-Annex I Parties
- Least Developed Countries Expert Group
- Board of the Green Climate Fund
- Executive Board of the Clean Development Mechanism
The meeting concluded with a panel discussion on 'Enhanced delivery of capacity-building to
promote concrete and effective adaptation and mitigation actions at the national level', with the
participation of representatives of the European Union, Japan, United Republic of Tanzania, Climate
Action Network- International, World Future Council and University College London/Chatham House.
The focus issues for discussions among panelists and with the participants were:
potential ways to further enhance the implementation of capacity-building at the national level
the importance of catalyzing actions to build capacity for mitigation and adaptation at the
PART II presentations are available here.
PART II webcast is available