New: The portal is live!>>Access it clicking here: unfccc.int/capacitybuilding <<
About the Portal
Visually captivating, easy to understand and to operate, the Capacity-building Portal is an innovative tool
devised to help you monitor and review the capacity built to better mitigate and adapt to climate
You can customize search criteria, visualize data through interactive maps, bubbles and multicolored pie
charts, line up results in tables, print and export them. Thanks to the Portal's dynamic features and
intuitive design, available data are just one mouse click away.
The multifaceted global community interested in capacity-building activities can use the search results in
various ways, such as :
- Having a quick overview of the type of capacity-building support provided at the global, regional
and country level, and according to the predefined list of 15
priority areas for capacity-building (84 kB) in developing countries listed in decision 2/CP.7
- Tracking specific project activities and programmes
- Identifying and building on best practices
- Identifying potential gaps in the delivery of capacity-building
- Accessing information on stakeholders involved, funding sources and amounts allocated
- Improving coordination of capacity-building support, including by identifying duplications of efforts
- Identifying possible cooperation partners
Quick User Guide (the preparation of a User manual is underway)
- All developing countries are highlighted; the shades of grey indicate the density in number of
implemented projects per country stored in the database
- A pie chart shows worldwide distribution of projects by priority area (according to the
priority areas for capacity-building (84 kB) listed in decision 2/CP.7)
Basic search: the interactive map
- Hoover over a country to see the number of implemented projects stored in the database
- Click on a country to see the list of implemented projects stored in the database
- scroll down to view the full list
- click on one project to see the full details available
- click on button 'See all' at the end of the list, to see all projects in a tabular format
with full details available
- click on button 'Print' at the end of the table to have the whole list printed
- click on button 'Extract' to have the whole list in an Excel file
- When clicking on a country, the corresponding pie chart will change to show the distribution of
projects in that country by priority area
- Click again on the country to get back to the world view and continue your exploration of the map
Advanced search: the search mask
You can narrow your search by choosing among the following search criteria:
Parties: at the moment, only developing countries are available as search option
Priority Area: decide to focus on one of the 15
priority areas for capacity-building (84 kB) listed in decision 2/CP.7
Location: choose to view capacity-building projects at the following levels:
Once you have chosen the criteria, both the interactive map and the pie chart(s) will immediately
reconfigure according to your selection.
More statistics with different focus are available in the ‘Statistics’ section of the header.
Use the ‘reset’ button to get back to the default page.
The current version of the Capacity-building Portal is a springboard for a more ambitious project.
The goal is to create a multifunctional tool which:
- hosts information on capacity-building activities updated every year
- contains a new module with data and search functions for capacity-building support provided to
countries with economies in transition
- avails of data extracted from various sources (national communications, technology needs assessments,
- enables you to choose among wider categories of search results, narrow your searches, get quickly
to the answers and store them in a personal library
- allows for direct entry of capacity-building related information by intergovernmental organizations
Some background information
The Conference of the Parties requested the UNFCCC secretariat to collect, process, compile and
disseminate, in both printed and electronic formats, the information needed by the Conference of the Parties
or its subsidiary bodies to review the progress in the implementation of the framework for capacity-building in developing
Synthesis reports are published every year to provide an overview of the implementation of this framework.
They are made available to the Subsidiary Body for Implementation, the Conference of the Parties and
the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol to enable them
to monitor and review the progress on the implementation of the framework.
Such reports contain, inter alia, information provided by United Nations agencies and the Global Environment
Facility on their respective capacity-building activities. This information serves as the initial dataset for
the current version of the Portal.
We will be grateful if you report back to us any problem you encountered while using the Portal, and help us
make it better.
Positive feedback, comments, suggestions or queries are also appreciated.
Contact us by sending
an email to CapacityBuildingPortal@unfccc.int.