Capacity-building for climate action: Paris Agreement, Article 11
1. Capacity-building under this Agreement should enhance the capacity and ability of developing country
Parties, in particular countries with the least capacity, such as the least developed countries, and those
that are particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change, such as small island developing
States, to take effective climate change action, including, inter alia, to implement adaptation and
mitigation actions, and should facilitate technology development, dissemination and deployment, access to
climate finance, relevant aspects of education, training and public awareness, and the transparent, timely
and accurate communication of information.
2. Capacity-building should be country-driven, based on and responsive to national needs, and foster country
ownership of Parties, in particular, for developing country Parties, including at the national, subnational
and local levels. Capacity-building should be guided by lessons learned, including those from
capacity-building activities under the Convention, and should be an effective, iterative process that is
participatory, cross-cutting and gender-responsive.
3. All Parties should cooperate to enhance the capacity of developing country Parties to implement this
Agreement. Developed country Parties should enhance support for capacity-building actions in developing
4. All Parties enhancing the capacity of developing country Parties to implement this Agreement, including
through regional, bilateral and multilateral approaches, shall regularly communicate on these actions or
measures on capacity-building. Developing country Parties should regularly communicate progress made on
implementing capacity-building plans, policies, actions or measures to implement this Agreement.
5. Capacity-building activities shall be enhanced through appropriate institutional arrangements to support
the implementation of this Agreement, including the appropriate institutional arrangements established under
the Convention that serve this Agreement. The Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties
to this Agreement shall, at its first session, consider and adopt a decision on the initial institutional
arrangements for capacity-building.
Capacity-building in the UNFCCC process