Call for Action 05 - Adaptation planning and practices
RELATED ONGOING WORK
Examples in alphabetical order
- The Community Based Adaptation Exchange website created by Eldis and the International Institute for
Environment and Development (IIED) provides a range of information on community based adaptation, including how
community based adaptation techniques can be best applied. http://www.cba-exchange.org
- El Salvador developed a broadly conceived strategy involving municipal and national-level authorities as well
as communities, aiming to increase the coping range of people in certain rural areas through economic
diversification and by enhancing their capacity to influence public policies (FCCC/SBSTA/2007/Misc.10 and Add.1).
- The objective of the Linking Climate Adaptation (LCA) Network is to help communities, policy-makers,
practitioners and academics share experiences and knowledge about adaptation to climate change. http://www.linkingclimateadaptation.org
- The UNFCCC Local Coping Strategies database is designed to facilitate the transfer of coping strategies and
mechanisms, knowledge and experience from communities that have adapted to specific hazards or climatic conditions
to communities that may be starting to experience such conditions as a result of climate change. http://maindb.unfccc.int/public/adaptation
- Examples from Parties3 include: The National Strategy for Adaptation to Climate Change of Finland, the Climate
Change Adaptation Programme of New Zealand, and the National Adaptation Strategy of Mexico. National Adaptation
Programmes of Action (NAPAs) have also been developed in many least developed countries (LDCs). http://unfccc.int/adaptation/napas/items/2679.php
- The Assessments of Impacts and Adaptations to Climate Change in Multiple Regions and Sectors (AIACC) project
supported 24 regional study teams to conduct three-year investigations of climate change impacts, adaptation and
vulnerability in 46 developing countries. http://www.aiaccproject.org
- The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 365 non-governmental organizations working to
promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels.
The Adaptation track of CAN is designed to assist the most vulnerable countries (small island states and LDCs) in
anticipating and limiting the effects of climate change. http://www.climatenetwork.org
Regional and international levels
- The Adaptation Learning Mechanism is a multi-collaborator effort implemented by UNDP-GEF. It aims to create a
common platform to capture, promote and share adaptation knowledge and expertise. http://www.adaptationlearning.net/
- The Climate Change Capacity Development (C3D) project launched in 2003 by the Climate Change Programme of the
United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) seeks to address capacity needs for climate change in
developing countries through an innovative training and capacity building partnership with partner institutes based
in developing countries. http://www.unitar.org/
- The South Pacific Vulnerability and Adaptation Initiative and the Climate Change Partnerships in the
Asia-Pacific region support practical adaptation initiatives, primarily addressing water security and coastal zone
management (FCCC/SBSTA/2007/Misc.10 and Add.1).
- As of May 2008, more than one hundred organizations worldwide had offered to take part in the Nairobi work
programme and had nominated a focal point with whom the secretariat can coordinate. Several organizations,
including FAO, IPCC, ISDR, OECD, UNDP, World Bank, WHO and WMO, have taken the opportunity to provide information
on relevant activities, and to make proposals for their involvement in the implementation of the Nairobi work
programme, through statements to the SBSTA and concept notes provided to the secretariat. http://unfccc.int/3633.php
Several guidelines and studies exist, mostly for integrating adaptation in development projects or in
regards to specific sectors.
- The Adaptation Policy Frameworks (APF) for Climate Change is a structured approach to formulating and
implementing adaptation strategies, policies and measures prepared by UNDP on behalf of GEF. www.undp.org/gef/adaptation/climate_change/APF.htm
- The CBD process has developed web-based guidance on the integration of biodiversity within adaptation planning.
- The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) has launched a project to develop a User
Guide to tools and tactics for integrating/mainstreaming environment in development decision-making, steered by an
International Stakeholders Panel. http://www.environmental-mainstreaming.org/
- The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), in collaboration with the Energy and Resources
Institute (TERI) is engaged in a multi-year project (2005–2009) on Adaptive Policy-Making, which aims to help
government agriculture and water resource policy-makers at the local, state and federal levels design adaptive
- The OECD Development and Climate Change Project is a joint effort of the Development Co-operation and
Environment Directorates to identify linkages and explore effective and efficient policy responses in the areas of
development co-operation and climate change. The focus is on natural resource management and climate adaptation
- The OECD and IEA Secretariats have produced a series of papers for the Annex I Expert Group of the UNFCCC on
the role that national policy frameworks of various sectors play in adaptation to climate change. www.oecd.org/env/cc/aixg
- The United Kingdom Climate Impacts Programme (UKCIP) has developed a Climate Adaptation: Risk, Uncertainty and
Decision Making Framework.
- The UNFCCC secretariat periodically undertakes analysis of programmes and activities on adaptation in its
compilation and synthesis of Non-Annex I and Annex I national communications.
- The secretariat has collected and summarised information on different projects on adaptation undertaken by the
UN and other organizations.
- The UNFCCC secretariat recently produced a paper Climate Change: Impacts, Vulnerabilities and Adaptation in
- As one of the deliverables of the Nairobi work programme, the secretariat will prepare a web-based interface
providing information on existing adaptation practices on the basis of submissions from Parties and organisations
and other sources. http://unfccc.int/4363.php