Your location: Home
Call for Action 10 - Regional cooperation
Improving knowledge management
- Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) has developed regional climate modelling cooperations with a range
- University of Pretoria and CSIR, South Afica;
- BMKG Indonesia;
- University of Hanoi, Vietnam;
- PAGASA, Philippines.
- The Center for Environment and Development for the Arab Region and Europe (CEDARE)
has developes a knowledge management programme to better provide decision-aiding tools.
- Learning forum on Climate Change Adaptation in Africa (CCAA), developed in Nairobi, Kenya in March 2010, disseminates and
improves knowledge management in the region. The CCAA is a joint program of the International
Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada, and the Department for International Development (DFID), U.K.
- The CARICOM Climate Change Centre in Belize integrates
activities from several regional supporting institutes dealing with climate chage related subjects in order
to facilitate knowledge management.
- In partnership with regional organizations the Sahara and
Sahel Observatory has developed a drought early warning system to improve the dissemination of
information regarding rainfall patterns in .
- The Convention on Biological Diversity has developed the programme entitled Global Island Partnership
(GLISPA) as a platform for information
exchange for islands states and countries with islands. The goal is to exchange scientific and policy
related information on conservation, climate change and adaptation, sustainable livelihoods for island
- The UNDP Territorial Facility
developed in association with UNEP, other UN agencies and associations of
subnational governements helps sub-national authorities prepare Integrated Territorial Climate Plans
(ITCP) to identify priority mitigation and adaptation measures (negative costs/no-regrets/urgent
initiatives). The Adaptation Learning Mechanism is a
inter-agency knowledge sharing platform supporting a network of adaptation stakeholders
Enhancing the effectiveness of technical support
- The Climate Systems Analysis Group from the Univeristy of Cape
Town has been developing activities to downscale global climate modelling to regional areas and therefore
improving effectiveness of communication.
- Establishment of the Centre for Climate
Change Research in India to address national issues related to climate change - particularly to
estimate change and uncertainties in the South Asian monsoon.
- The University of the Sunshine Coast has been supporting the
development and use of the CLIMsystems that integrates
modelling system for assessing impacts and adaptation to climatic variability and change in a wide range of
regions in the world.
- The UN Development Programme (UNDP), in partnership with the Government of France and the regional
government of Brittany, has created the ClimSat partnership. This new
regional initiative – a network of public and private satellite providers – aims to offer
satellite images free of charge to communities in 50 regions across the world to improve the monitoring of
deforestation, desertification, changing rainfall patterns and other phenomena.