Flexibility for the Future: Adapting in an Uncertain Climate ISET Action Pledges to Support the Nairobi Workplan Programme
||Institute for Social and Environmental Transition (ISET)
|Date of submission
ISET Action pledge
ISET is exploring the possibility of partnering with and fostering social entrepreneurs with climate resilient and environmentally sustainable business models, ideas for adaptive livelihoods, financial risk spreading, and the diversification of markets. ISET would provide information, expertise and potentially capital to such entrepreneurs until such time that the business ventures could successfully stand on their own.
Possible activities include
- Creating/serving as an incubation group providing information, expertise to entrepreneurs engaged in climate resilient projects;
- Producing replicable outcomes and lessons learned from the sustainable livelihoods that can be disseminated widely through the Nairobi work programme.
Overall objectives of ISET’s pledge
- Assessing the costs and benefits of pro-active disaster risk management to meet the needs of vulnerable communities in South Asia.
- Seeking to understand the autonomous processes of adaptation that individuals, households, businesses and communities take in response to the opportunities, constraints and risks climate change poses to their livelihood systems.
- Strengthening the planned adaptive response that governments, organizations, and sometimes businesses take by developing strategies that are capable of responding to both incremental and pulsed changes.
- Piloting methods, such as shared learning dialogues, to facilitate communication, understanding, shared learning, and cooperation between public and private sectors, all levels of government, and communities.
- Studying and seeking to support interventions that increase diversification of livelihood options and economic systems.
- Studying and supporting interventions that emphasize learning to live with risk, climate variability and change.
|Action pledge updates|| |
ISET Action pledge update
Scaling Up Local and Community Based Actions
Reducing risks of extreme events and weather-related disasters
These updates were provided as contributions to and are summarised in the Nairobi work programme publication "Action Pledges: Making a difference on the ground. A synthesis of outcomes, good practices, lessons learned, and future challenges and opportunities".
Current initiatives of ISET relevant to the objectives of the Nairobi work programme
From Risk to Resilience: The Collaborative Programme
- focused on assessing the costs and benefits of pro-active disaster risk reduction strategies for vulnerable communities in Pakistan, Nepal and India. It is a three-year initiative to research, document, and implement risk reduction and climate adaptation activities and advocacy in South Asia
Adaptation to Climatic Variability and Change Programme
- two year programme investigating and testing mechanisms for incorporating weather and information on climate change and its potential impacts into disaster relief and reconstruction programmes in South Asia
Adaptation and Livelihood Resilience Programme
- seeks to improve adaptation and livelihood resilience in communities throughout South Asia that are vulnerable to climate change and variability
||Asia and the Pacific
Education and training
Food security, agriculture, forestry and fisheries
Oceans and coastal areas
Science, assessment, monitoring and early warning
Transport, infrastructure and human settlements
|Adaptation delivery activity
Communications and awareness-raising
Disaster risk reduction
Pilot adaptation programmes/projects
|NWP work area
||Adaptation planning and practices
Climate related risks and extreme events
Methods and tools
Organizations, institutions and private sector companies at all levels and in a wide range of sectors can become engaged with the NWP by becoming a partner and making Action Pledges. Information about how organizations can become engaged with work on adaptation under the NWP can be found here.